- Telephone 0141 632 7924
- Food served Mon–Thu 11.30am–10.30pm; Fri/Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4–6.30pm
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.dimaggios.co.uk/shawlands
Since 1985, the original Di Maggio’s at Shawlands Cross has been serving family-friendly Italian–American food and take-away pizza.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Presiding over Shawlands Cross, with large windows offering ample opportunity for people-watching, the tone in Di Maggio’s Southside branch is set by walls adorned by black and white pictures of Joey Di Maggio, Marilyn Monroe and Al Pacino. With a menu of reliable Italian–American dishes honed since 1985, there is something to please everyone. Starters offer a choice of bruschetta or stuffed mushrooms, alongside the brash no-nonsense ‘bad-ass’ chicken wings or Joe’s BBQ ribs, while the nachos, tortillas and ground beef heaped with sour cream, cheese and jalapeños, is large enough to be a main course – which are generous, too. Familiar dishes like spaghetti and meatballs and chicken caesar salad served in huge bowls heaped with parmesan and black pepper, while the signature calzone Di Maggio is stuffed with spicy sausage, seared chicken, red peppers, bacon, oozing mozzarella, and much else besides, all folded in a pizza dough that has just the right balance of crispness to tear-ability. To finish desserts include takes on classics – apple pie, served with squirty cream, or raspberry cheesecake.
- High point: Reliable and easy for a local Italian feast
- Low point: Dessert menu a bit humdrum
- Notable dish: Di Maggio's calzone
- Delivery: £2 - £2.50 depending on postcode
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1985
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle