- Telephone 0141 204 2404
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
Great value Pan-Asian street food, beers and cocktails, all served in a design-conscious hangout with live DJs four nights a week.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This, the eldest in the Soba family, set out to serve quality Pan-Asian street food in a cool environment – a promise on which it has made good. It is an image-conscious and funky bar – next to the Lighthouse, Scotland’s Centre for Design and Architecture – and is currently clad in a series of contemporary faux-industrial glass lights contrasting with warm wooden furniture. Fun is foremost, with live DJs four nights a week and a terrific selection of cocktails. The food menu offers dumplings, fritters and fishcakes as well noodle and rice dishes. There are also burgers et al just in case. Every (generous) plateful is laced with just-right, crunchy wok-fried veg and garnished with raw beansprouts or chilli pieces. The excellent chiang mai curry with wheat noodles achieves that delicate balance of sweet coconut with chilli and sour citrus. The trickier rice noodle pad thai is a little too sticky, and the desserts are fairly generic – with pineapple and passion fruit flavours no more than referencing the Far East. But overall it is a great place to hang out, where the food is tasty and the value for money is noteworthy.
- High point: Chiang mai curry noodle bowl
- Low point: Sticky rice noodles
- Notable dish: Chiang mai curry noodle bowl
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: 22 (downstairs)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: House and disco classics
- Live entertainment: Live DJs Weds–Sat
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95. per bottle
Reviews & features
2 for 1 on all main courses at Bar Soba
If the January blues are getting you down, we have just the thing to get you out of your funk. Our friends over at Bar Soba are offering readers 2 for 1 on all main courses throughout the month, thanks to their cracking January sale.
Street food bursts out from its exotic enclave in Glasgow and Edinburgh2 Apr 2015
Enjoy casual pan-Asian dining at restaurants including Bar Soba, Tuk Tuk and The Hanoi Bike Shop
From the crowded streets of Cambodia to the hustling alleys of Singapore, street food is an everyday occurrence for millions of people. Something that’s so mundane (to them) as a pandan pudding in Kuala Lumpur or a kimbap in Seoul suddenly becomes…