- Telephone 0131 229 6660
- Seasonal times Open for lunch on rugby weekends, noon–2pm. Christmas lunches in December.
- Food served Sun–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm; Fri–Sat 5–6.30pm
- Average price £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.mckirdyssteakhouse.co.uk
Family-run steakhouse offering high-quality, reasonably priced meat, served by knowledgeable staff.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There's nothing quite like being looked after by family and that’s what you get at McKirdy’s Steakhouse. Generations of brothers and sons have worked together, in their butchery since 1895 and at the restaurant they've run since 1999. Attracting a loyal crowd of locals and those lucky enough to wander in, the restaurant buzzes as diners tuck into an impressive array of lovingly served dishes. Their award-winning haggis stack served with bourbon sauce is impressive. For mains, choose from succulent fillet steak, racks of ribs or thick juicy burgers. The quality of the meat shines through and the McKirdys are right to be proud enough of their produce to give it the family name. To finish, there's homemade deserts including sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice-cream. If you're looking for a modern swish interior you won't find it here – the decor probably hasn't changed much over the years – but in the words of Bridget Jones' Mark Darcy ‘we like you just the way you are’.
- High point: Friendly, family-run restaurant serving high-quality meat
- Low point: Slightly dated interior might not appeal to all
- Notable dish: Pounded rump steak with bourbon sauce
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: General mix
- Capacity: 54
- Largest group: 34 (or whole restaurant of 54 by arrangement)
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £3 corkage (Wine and fizz only. No beer or spirits.)