- Telephone 0131 229 6660
- Seasonal times Christmas and rugby weekends: open for lunch.
- Food served Sun–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm
- Average price £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95 two courses, £16.95 three courses
- Website www.mckirdyssteakhouse.co.uk
Family-run steakhouse offering high-quality meat, served by knowledgeable staff.
Once that big kid inside all of us has rejoiced at the option of curly fries, the next question is simply what cut of steak to pair them with. Sure, McKirdy’s is small and looks a little out-dated, but nothing quite beats being served by generations of passionate brothers and sons who take care of the meat from butcher's block to plate – the family have been butchers since 1895, after all. Steaks, in a minimum of 8oz, come in the option of chargrilled or pan-fried and the quality of the 100% Scotch beef burgers shines through in every satisfying bite. Carnivores are in heaven. Award-winning haggis and gluten-free sausages top off the meat feast, with a sole vegetarian option reminding customers of the philosophy of doing one thing – meat – and doing it well. For pud, there's an indulgent banoffee pie laced with Baileys and a sweet, stodgy sticky toffee pudding that you’ll wish you'd saved room for. It's a down-to-earth affair with no frills or pricey fine wines, but you're guaranteed a decent sized portion of homely grub and are welcome to BYOB.
- High point: Loyal regulars include rugby players whose shirts are proudly displayed
- Low point: The interior leaves a little to be desired
- Notable dish: McKirdy "Royale" burger
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Alison's choice.
- Capacity: 54
- Largest group: 34 (or whole restaurant by arrangement)
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle
- BYOB: £3 corkage (Wine and fizz only. No beer or spirits.)