- Telephone 0131 229 6660
- Seasonal times December and rugby weekends: may open for lunch.
- Food served Sun–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price 20% off food, excluding t-bone and fillet
- Website www.mckirdyssteakhouse.co.uk
Family-run steakhouse offering high-quality meat, served by knowledgeable and highly approachable staff.
McKirdy’s Steakhouse is not the most Insta-friendly, hipster-cool restaurant: plain walls with just a few rugby shirts hanging up and wooden furniture are the only decoration. But don't walk by based on looks, because you'll miss some outstanding meat – this no-frills, family-run restaurant serves Scottish beef straight from their own butcher's shop. Waiting staff know their stuff and if you don’t know your rump from your ribeye they’ll recommend a cut, tell you how it should be cooked, and suggest a wine to drink with it. Ribeye fans are in for a treat: medium-rare and tender, served with lightly salted curly fries it’s a perfect match for a glass of French malbec. If you are still hungry for dessert, go for the crème brûlée – simple but definitely a win with such a crispy, thin layer of sugar on top you won’t be able to help channelling your inner Amélie as you break through to the creamy sweetness beneath.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: radio
- Capacity: 54
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16,40 per bottle
- BYOB: £3 corkage (Wine and fizz only.)
Reviews & features
Best steakhouses and burgers in Edinburgh22 May 2019
Steaks, burgers and everything else: where to get the best cuts of juicy meat in the city
Scottish beef is firmly at the heart of the city's steakhouses and burger bars, and though the trend for the latter seems to have gone off the boil, there are still plenty of places fighting the good fight against the chains. With options to suit almost…