Metro Brasserie and Café Bar
- Telephone 0845 365 0002
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 8am–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–5pm; 6–10pm
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.metrorestaurant.co.uk
Metro Brasserie fills the barn-like ground and basement floors of the Apex City Hotel in buzzing Grassmarket. Ground-floor diners eat at small window tables with views of the castle, while the basement level seems reserved for larger hen or birthday parties. The lengthy menu is a list of starter, meat, fish, veggie and dessert ‘bowls’. A starter of haggis, neeps and tatties comes with a mustard and whisky sauce, while a bowl of small mussels is barely full enough to satisfy. There’s little else to inspire: a sirloin steak arrives cold and topped with yellowy watercress, while a middle rib of beef is more raw than rare. A side order of thick-cut chips with sea salt turns out to be floury caterpack fries, while desserts of sticky toffee pudding and mascarpone cheesecake have a distinctly bought-in feel. Metro Brasserie’s reasonably priced set menus attract plenty of large groups and passing tourists looking to load up before a night on the town, but the kitchen really needs to take fewer shortcuts.
- High point: Great views of the castle and Grassmarket
- Low point: Lazy cooking and shortcut food
Metro Brasserie & Bar is an cool and uncluttered restaurant split over three levels in Edinburgh's Apex International Hotel. Overlooking the historic Grassmarket, the bright interior with its timber-lined ceiling and blue slate floor has a relaxed, informal ambience. The menu offers various classic and contemporary brasserie dishes, with several prix fixe options and one for children.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 56/60/70
- No. overnight rooms: 174
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bland muzak
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 110–160
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle