This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Nestled into a corner just off Bruntsfield Links, this cosy, homely little diner has been serving up old-school Americana-style comfort food for over 15 years. The menu comprises mainly burgers, steaks and chicken dishes, all of which can be tailored to personal specifications and come served with Katie’s coleslaw and your choice of chips or buttered new potatoes. Sirloin steak seasoned with seven pepper and lemon has a piquant citrus tang, deepened by different shades of spice, and Hawaiian chicken – seasoned chicken breast with cheese and pineapple – is subtly spiced, the char-grilled pineapple ring adding a tropically sweet dimension. Desserts, though heavy duty, are definitely worth leaving room for. Katie’s homemade chocolate brownies are decadently gooey and served warm with lashings of rich vanilla ice-cream, while apple crumble comes topped with beautifully buttery pastry.
- High point: Skilled home cooking and friendly, personal service
- Low point: Starters are a tad uninspired
- Notable dish: Seven Pepper Lemon Steak
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions
- Music on stereo: ambient background music
- Capacity: 20
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £10.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £2 corkage