- Telephone 0131 225 6431
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 5pm–1am; Fri 2.30pm–1am; Sat 1pm–1am.
- Seasonal times Open until 5am during the festival season and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
- Website www.bar-tonic.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Tonic is a destination bar for the cocktail drinker in Edinburgh. This low-lit, funk-infused basement has no food to distract from the main event: a drinks menu that provides for the seriously classic and the deliriously frivolous cocktail lover. A wide selection of spirits, with a strong Scottish contingent, provide the base for drinks like the mint choc chip-inspired Barney Rubble (ice-cream, Baileys and crème de menthe), or their take on a Porn Star Martini (a creamy caramel and passion fruit standout on the menu). Maybe kickstart your night with a North Berwick Breakfast (gin, fortified wine, orange juice and apricot jam) before moving on to the Cuban-inspired frothy rum and pineapple Hotel Nacional. The staff take their role in your experience seriously and are happy to talk shop or create something more personal if you want to go off menu. [Not recently visited.]
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri and Sat
- Capacity: 50 seated, 80 standing
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2000 (2009 under current owners)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £13 per bottle