- Telephone 0141 572 1405
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm
- Average price £22 (lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.mussel-inn.com
Delicious mussels from Scotland’s west coast plus other shellfish and fish dishes at this relaxed city centre restaurant.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Born out of close relationships with Scottish west coast shellfish farmers, the Mussel Inn has been serving huge hauls of fresh, juicy mussels in the city centre for the past 15 years. Dished up by the kilo and with a choice of sauces, the mussels come steaming hot, plump and full of flavour. Spice lovers will gravitate to the Moroccan sauce with fiery chilli, garlic, ginger and cumin, while the blue cheese and bacon option is good for something decadent and different – ensure you order crunchy chips and crusty bread to soak up the rich, delicious sauce. Mussels may be the raison d’être here but there’s lots more, from shellfish pasta in a creamy saffron-flavoured bisque to grilled sea bass or tiger prawns with noodles – meaning you can tread the traditional route of a small portion of mussels to start, or miss out the little orange delicacies if they don’t float your boat. A deep-sea shade of teal covers the walls of the big, brightly lit and spacious dining room, where a bit of canteen-style clatter sits well with the fresh, casual and contemporary vibe.
- High point: Lots of lovely mussels
- Low point: Lights a bit bright for dinner
- Notable dish: Kilo pot of mussels with blue cheese, bacon and cream sauce
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Modern classics
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle