- Telephone 0141 572 0575
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–8pm; Fri/Sat 5–7pm
- Average price £7.90 (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50 (3 courses)
- Website www.pulcinella.co.uk
Pulcinella radiates tradition – checked table cloths, walls crammed with souvenirs – which you’ll either find charming or a bit tired, but the friendly staff chattering away in Italian certainly add to the ambience. The menu offers a range of familiar pastas, pizzas and mains, but for the adventurous the fish stew is a gratifyingly unusual option – as is the lamb's liver. Among the antipasti, the fagioli e salsiccia are hearty, full of authentic flavours, with crisp yet light focaccia. From the mains, the gamberoni prawns are a good option, juicy and nicely seasoned, although the calamari luciana was slightly overcooked. The rich chocolate mousse tops an evening off nicely and should be kept firmly in mind while tackling the generous portions beforehand. The wine list is varied, with a dozen by the glass, and the modestly priced primitivo and sangiovese are a good complement to the food. Pulcinella is an established favourite with nearby workers enjoying the bargain-value lunch and pre-theatre menus, while for evening dining it offers a reliably solid kitchen and a familiar, welcoming atmosphere.
- High point: Rustic fagioli e salsiccia was full of flavour
- Low point: Overdone squid for main
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Modern Italian/Europop
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle