- Telephone 0131 225 5276
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website theabbotsford.com
A moment of calm in busy Rose Street with good-quality pub food in a gentle Edwardian setting
Escape busy Rose Street with its tourists, hen parties and city workers recovering over a pint and restore yourself in the civility of The Abbotsford. Upstairs from the popular pub below, the Edwardian calm of this pleasant dining room settles gently amongst crisp white tablecloths, dark woodwork and cheerfully stylish wallpaper. The staff welcome is sincerely helpful and drinks arrive promptly. The menu is pub food but taken up a notch in interest and expression. Tiger prawns, juicy in crispy beer batter get a kick from the lime and green curry tartar sauce alongside. The piled high mushroom and kale tart is accented with a mild cauliflower purée and will please more than vegetarians. The mains cover the bases of burgers, fish and chips, and steak and ale pie, but there is also roast duck breast, sitting cosily on a bed of honey-roasted vegetables and peppercorn gravy. For puds the chocolate and whisky tart is a bit sticky sweet but the Abbortsford apple crumble comes with perfect vanilla panacotta and delicious apple crumble ice cream.
- Private dining: 40 (Abbotsford upstairs)
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop
- Capacity: 38 (restaurant)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1906
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £15 per bottle