- Telephone 0131 557 5000
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10.30am, noon–2.30pm, 6–10.30pm; Sat/Sun 7–11am, 12.30–3.30pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Until 7.30pm
- Average price £17.95 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17.95
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/the-balmoral-hotel
High-end hotel brasserie, straddling the gap between bistro and fine-dining.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The brasserie of the five-star Balmoral Hotel is sure to be seriously classy, and Hadrian’s is every inch as polished as you’d expect. What might surprise, though, is how approachable it is. The staff are well-briefed and friendly, so if you’re unsure if a red wine sauce is the thing with roast turbot (it is), or what smoked mash will be like (perfect for soaking up the Innis and Gunn-infused juices of braised beef short rib), they will do a genial job of describing and advising. The clientele – a mix of hotel guests and locals – is necessarily well-heeled, but the lunch and early evening prix-fixe are affordable. Old world big hitters dominate the wine list, but even if you can’t run to Puligny Montrachet at £95 a bottle, you can savour a glass of red presented in a carafe, a civilised half poured for you and the rest left to breathe until you’re ready. Presentation is a treat, whether of a top-notch chargrilled chicken caesar salad or Blairgowrie beef grandly carved at your table for Sunday lunch.
- High point: Super-polished brasserie dining
- Low point: Why the flamenco dancer prints?
- Notable dish: Roast turbot, sprouting broccoli, red wine sauce
Ideal for a light lunch or a relaxed dinner, Hadrian's offers traditional cuisine in an informal setting. On the menu, a mix of Scottish favourites and classic dishes are created using the finest regional produce. Try Scottish shellfish bisque, Blairgowrie beefburger, or the chocolate and raspberry crème brulee. Smaller appetites are also catered for with the children's menu. The brasserie's walls are brought to life with life-sized photographs of pirouetting dancers.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soft jazz
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £26 per bottle