- Telephone 0131 225 8116
- Food served Mon–Fri 5–11:30pm; Sat noon–11:30pm; Sun 3–10:30pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.bellsdineredinburgh.com
Serving up epic burgers since 1972; friendly service in a welcoming interior.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When you find a restaurant where generations of families return regularly you know you've found a gem. Bell's Diner has been serving up epic burgers since 1972 and long may this Edinburgh institution continue. Located in Stockbridge, it has a wonderfully cosy and welcoming interior with simple wooden tables and ruby red walls. A blackboard announces a host of specials and a friendly waitress effortlessly buzzes around ensuring everyone is well cared for. To start, the mushroom soup of the day is thick and creamy while the pâté comes with a generous pile of oatcakes. But the main event is the burgers, with a variety of sizes from the 4oz for kids right up to a belly-busting 8oz for the ravenous. They’re served with or without bun, with a side salad and a pleasingly large pile of fries. To finish, desserts are well worth leaving room for – pancakes served with chocolate sauce and ice cream are a particular delight. Only problem: it gets busy, so be sure to book ahead.
- High point: Friendly, attentive staff
- Low point: It's tricky to get in without booking ahead
- Notable dish: Amazing burgers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Blues/jazz/pop
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 1972
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle