- Telephone 0131 225 6633
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.45pm.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.thaiorchid.uk.com
In an enviable location, Thai Orchid demonstrates creativity and attention to detail all served by a caring team.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Opposite the Festival Hub and only minutes from the Castle and Royal Mile, Thai Orchid enjoys an enviable location. The modern décor is understated, distinctive, attractive. Lighting fixtures, so often a lost design opportunity, are sophisticated and atmospheric. Simple Thai ornamentation sets a relaxing mood for the pleasures of the meal to come. Kanom buang yuan, a crispy thin crepe holds finely minced prawns, stir-fried with dried coconut, tofu and bean sprouts, together forming a moist, filling accented by a sweet vinegar sauce. Hoy shell ping, generous portion of scallops, char grilled but juicy inside, hold the imprint of their garlic, ginger and sesame marinade without overpowering their delicate flavour. Pad cha pla, chunks of firm, sweet monkfish shine through the spicy sauce of fresh red chilli, garlic, ginger and clusters of green peppercorns. Earthy pedt duck rests alongside thick slices of citrusy yellow mango, red peppers and stems of Thai basil. Kanom Thai, a selection of homemade sweets, is an unexpected and rare delight, reflecting Thai Orchid’s overall care and attention to detail.
- High point: Super attention to detail, balancing flavours and colours on the plate
- Low point: If only the wine list was as adventurous as the food
- Notable dish: Pad Cha Pla (monkfish)
- Provides: Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: indy
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle