The Pompadour by Galvin
- Telephone 0131 222 8777
- Seasonal times Extended during festival – check back
- Bar open 6pm–1am
- Food served Tue–Sat 6–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 6pm–10pm
- Average price (lunch); £46 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £24
- Website www.thepompadourbygalvin.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
It’s one of the prettiest dining rooms in Edinburgh: a Grade 2 listed hand-painted froth, elegantly spruced-up during the Caley’s recent refurb and wholly revitalised by the arrival of the Michelin-starred Galvin brothers. As you’d expect, it’s fine dining, with its accompanying silver, linen and precision of service – but there’s a warm heart beating under the formality and staff genuinely want you to have a good time. (Which you will, with food this good.) Squab pigeon is tender, almost smoky, while the presentation of a Skye crab tartlet is worthy of a still-life painting. Venison is technically accomplished, balancing cocoa nibs, Brazil nuts, quince and orange. Monkfish is moist, meaty and more than lives up to both the bourguignon accompaniments and a juicy red from the wine tasting menu (going by the glass is a good way to tackle a heavy-duty wine list and they’ll happily mix and match for you). Finally desserts – they're just beautiful. At £58 for 3 courses, it’s not cheap, but the care, attention and surroundings mean the Pompadour adds up to some of the best value around.
- High point: All this available for £30 pre-theatre midweek? A steal.
- Low point: It is a touch hushed
- Notable dish: Poulet en Vessie Pompadour - a St Bride chicken for 2 stuffed with foie gras, baked in brandy, carved at the table.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 242
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Live entertainment: Very occasional live music
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £26 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Pompadour by Galvin./5 from RSS feed of these comments