The Pompadour by Galvin
- Telephone 0131 222 8777
- Seasonal times Extended during Edinubrgh Festival
- Food served Wed–Fri & Sun 6–9.30pm; Sat 12.30–1.30pm, 6–9.30pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 6–7pm, 9–9.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £29 (3 courses £35)
- Website www.thepompadourbygalvin.com
The Caledonian Hotel’s elegant fine dining restaurant which offers stunning views and classic French cuisine.
A grand staircase leads to an elegant dining room boasting the impressive architecture typical of a building dating from 1903. Some diners enjoy stunning views over Edinburgh Castle, while others can observe the comings and goings along Princes Street. Opened in its current guise in 2012, the Pompadour is overseen by London-based Chris and Jeff Galvin, who often make the trip north to keep an eye on proceedings. As Michelin-starred chefs, they are clearly conscious of the standards demanded by clients in high-end establishments. This restaurant is manned accordingly, with a large team that should ensure slick service, but doesn’t always succeed. Alongside seasonal offerings, the gourmand tasting menus present an opportunity to sample the talents of chef Fraser Allan. À la carte selections are also skilfully prepared and presented. A luscious truffle risotto starter hits the spot, as does terrine of foie gras, pig’s head and pistachio. Mains maximise flavour using good local ingredients and classic techniques in dishes such as Highland lamb shank and crowdie ravioli, with flavour-packed piperade adding a continental flourish. Cleverly executed desserts include rhubarb cheesecake, raised a notch by the accompanying hibiscus and champagne espuma.
The first Scottish venture for brothers Chris and Jeff, The Pompadour by Galvin offers a luxurious French culinary experience, made using meticulously sourced local ingredients, and seasonally inspired flavours. One of the city's most precious treasures, The Pompadour was opened in 1925, inspired by the official chief mistress of Louis XV.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 242
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Instrumental
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £35 per bottle
- BYOB: £25 corkage (BYOB, corkage £25)