Shackleton's Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 315 2226
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.channings.co.uk
Comely Bank hotel basement-bistro in need of some ambience
The famous Polar explorer, whose beard has inspired a thousand hipsters, now has a beer and a bistro named after him. You can sip on a Shackleton, brewed by East Lothian’s Belhaven, while deciding what to eat from the all-day menu in this compact, basement restaurant that is part of Channing’s Hotel. It has a separate entrance off the street, but there is no real escaping the ‘hotel’ vibe, with its functional bar furniture and surfeit of padded vinyl. Starters are not overly generous and a tiny pair of scallops looked a little lost on a huge plate, but the mains are a definite step up. Lamb rump works well with roast shallots and pea purée, while a duck breast with curly kale and puy lentils is equally tender. To finish, expect time-honoured bistro staples like sticky toffee pudding and chocolate tart.
A Chic and award-winning Edinburgh bistro, Shackletons Bar and Brasserie offers a versatile menu with a Scottish touch. Adopting a cosy interior, customers can escape the busy city streets. The Shackletons sun deck allows diners to make the most of any Edinburgh sunshine over a jug of Pimm's & lemonade.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 2 rooms: 18 (upstairs) and 50 in the garden room
- No. overnight rooms: 42
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Sounds of the 70s
- Capacity: Currently 72 (bar 40, dining room 32). Post May/June 2016 likely to be 84 (bar 40, garden room 30)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2014 as Shackleton's and 1990 originally as Channing's
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle