Miro's Cantina Mexicana
- Telephone 0131 225 4376
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £8.50 (burrito + drink); £20.45 (evening meal)
- Website www.miroscantinamexicana.com
Cosy restaurant located on Edinburgh's popular Rose Street, serving traditional and modern Mexican food.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Situated within the hustle and bustle of Rose Street, Miro's has offered up what it describes as traditional and modern Mexican food for a quarter of a century. Colourfully but tastefully appointed, the restaurant makes the most of its limited space, offering a cosy, intimate dining experience that is atypical of this popular tourist hotspot. And on the odd days when the Scottish summer plays ball, the tables come out for diners wishing to soak up the street's atmosphere. The menu is a rather daunting affair: as well as quesadillas, nachos, enchiladas and fajitas, the 'platos tipicos' section throws even more choice into the mix, with dishes including slow-cooked lamb, paella and fish of the day. Starters are large enough to serve as main courses, although you'd then miss out on the fajitas with sizzling sirloin steak strips. The ground pork and beef meatballs are enormous, and they're accompanied by plenty of rice, salad and tortillas. Should you have room for dessert, the churros to share round things off nicely.
- High point: Huge portions, lovely surroundings
- Low point: Not the best quality steak
- Notable dish: Chorizo con vino tinto
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 1991
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle