Cowan and Sons
- Telephone 0131 343 3007
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8.30am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–5pm; Sun 12.30–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
A local café in the heart of Stockbridge cooking good quality Scottish produce, and doing it well.
It’s hard not to notice the cracked tiles covering Maxi’s walls – an extraordinary feature left over from the fishmongers who were based here at the turn of the century. There are other interesting quirks too; an old chemistry classroom door, hand-crafted tables from reclaimed wood, stained glass windows. But it's not just the décor that makes Maxi’s noteworthy – this is a laid-back family business, passionate about working with local suppliers to serve the best of Scottish produce. The breakfasts (served until 3pm!) feature Bowers sausages and black pudding, free-range Scottish eggs, and Ayrshire bacon. Cheese in the quiches and sandwiches comes from Iain Mellis, coffee from Artisan Roast, and soda from Roots of Edinburgh. All the cakes are homemade with the courgette, lemon curd, and pistachio the stuff of legends, though the carrot cake will do in a pinch.
- High point: Thin-crusted quiche and accompanying punchy red slaw
- Low point: Delicious Ayrshire bacon, served a bit too crispy
- Notable dish: Breakfast
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Staff picks
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle