Cowan and Sons
- Telephone 0131 343 3007
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8.30am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 8.30am–5pm
A local, family-run café in the heart of Stockbridge cooking good quality Scottish produce and doing it well.
Although recently renovated and rebranded as Cowan & Sons, the tradition in the impressive stained-glass windows reflects the heritage behind this long-running family café: Cowan & Sons (previously Maxi’s) have served breakfast, lunch and cake to Stockbridge locals for twenty years now. The shabby-chic interior is all reclaimed wood, exposed original tiles and mixy-matchy furniture and the menu reads like a veritable who’s who of local producers: baked goods from Twelve Triangles, meat from Bower’s, coffee from Williams and Johnson and beer from Campervan Brewery. Late risers will rejoice at a generous 3pm breakfast cut-off before diving into smashed avocado on sourdough or the butcher’s breakfast. The lunch menu is compact but varied and includes daily soup and frittata specials. Cowan & Sons continues to evolve with the times whilst retaining a strong local flavour and a big heart.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: modern folk mix
- Live entertainment: Stockbridge Sessions
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £13 per bottle