- Telephone 0131 225 2605
- Seasonal times Open 7 days noon–11pm during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Thu & Sun noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm.
- Average price £13.50 (lunch); £14.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk
The latest in the Hendersons brand is a fresh and filling vegan delight.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The latest iteration of the Henderson’s brand one-ups its beloved vegetarian locations with a thoroughly vegan incarnation. Just a chuck of a chickpea from their Hanover Street flagship, Henderson’s Vegan took over a previously veggie-only site in July 2015. The daily specials board highlights ever-changing soups, soul bowls, desserts and more, while the mains menu is full of surprises: the ginger beer-battered tofu with wasabi pea purée is a spicy treat, and the tempeh and grilled chicory boat with satay has a muleish kick. Their cheesecake is notorious; a raspberry and coconut pleasure belying its dairy-free state, while the silky smoothness of the chocolate and banana mousse is near black magic. If you’re feeling naughty, you don’t have to, as all wines are organic – indeed, the restaurant aims to be fully organic soon. A welcome newcomer to the expanding Henderson’s brand.
- High point: Don't feel the need to simply 'substitute meat'
- Low point: More dessert choices, please
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 26
- Largest group: 6, but they can occasionally be lenient.
- Open since: July 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle