100% vegan food, nestled in a city centre cobbled side street.
A haven of vegan food and drink presented with flair, creativity and integrity, Hendersons Vegan is a round-the-corner offshoot of the long established family firm who have always set the bar high in the field of non-carnivorous dining. The cooking, bar, serving and eating areas are all in the same room which makes for a cosy intimacy, brightened by lively décor and plentiful natural light. The ingredients are all organic and locally sourced. A sharing platter of tomato and basil hummus, fig tapenade, olives and herbed cashew cream cheese makes for a substantial starter. Cauliflower is a staple, coming in chunkily sliced steaks with mushroom as a base for its peppery sauce accompaniment. Scottish pearl barley and parsnip risotto is hearty, with a topping of crispy pieces of kale, pickled apple and sorrel giving an air of finesse.
- High point: Turmeric latte is a coffee revelation
- Low point: So many enticing smells makes it harder to chose
- Notable dish: Playful platter
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: indie/folk
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £20 per bottle