Howies (Waterloo Place)
- Telephone 0131 556 5766
- Seasonal times During August: Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Bar open Coffee: Mon–Sun from 11am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.howies.uk.com
A bit of an architectural jewel, offering comforting Scottish-inspired food, with a good early-dining deal.
Howies makes the most of its beautiful home in Waterloo Place. The main Georgian dining room sweeps up to double height, delicate windows creating a space which is airy but not cavernous. Staff are super-friendly without being intrusive and keep things ticking along nicely. Food is of the homely and comforting variety. Cullen skink is creamy and laden with fish, while mussels are plump and tender in a broth demanding to be mopped up with bread. A specials board offers a casserole of the day, such as velvety, dark boeuf bourguignon. Pan-roasted venison haunch arrives rosy inside, seared dark on the outside, with creamy fondant potatoes absorbing the juices. For veggies, stuffed butternut tagine is served with soothing coriander yoghurt dressing while creamy, cheesy gnocchi is partnered with roasted artichokes, Swiss chard and leeks. Puddings for traditionalists include sticky toffee pudding or banoffee pie, but a dark chocolate beetroot torte is an interesting diversion.
- Private dining: 16-32
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled easy listening
- Capacity: 110 (26-30)
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £19.85 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 corkage (£5.50 for fizz; no beer or spirits; Sun–Thu only)