Howies at Waterloo
- Telephone 0131 556 5766
- Bar open Coffee: Mon–Sun from 11am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Until 6.15pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.howies.uk.com
Close to the city centre, Howies in Waterloo Place is a busy venue serving up good quality Scottish fare.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Enjoying a location just a few steps paces from Princes Street, and an ideal stopping-off point for passers by seeking sustenance after a stroll on Calton Hill, this branch of Howies also attracts custom from nearby offices and hotels. By day, light streams through large windows, illuminating the substantial two level space, while candles lend a more intimate feel in the evening. The excellent-value lunch and early dining deals are popular, with slick service ensuring those with limited time still enjoy themselves. A menu built around local produce is enhanced by a specials blackboard, with a good number of vegetarian and gluten free options available. BYOB is also popular. Warm wood pigeon salad with bacon and black pudding croutons is a simple, well-executed starter. Mains include a catch of the day, which could include pollock served on a bed of creamed vegetables with sweet potato fondant. Sweet-toothed diners can sign off with substantial puddings or perhaps a lighter rhubarb panacotta with ginger biscuit and nut brittle.
- High point: Perennial favourites at a consistent standard
- Low point: It can be noisy when full
- Notable dish: Seared haunch of Glen Lyon venison
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Instrumental
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 corkage (£5.50 for fizz)