- Telephone 0141 240 1002
- Opening times Mon–Fri 6:30am–10 pm; Sat & Sun 7am–10pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Food served Mon–Fri 6–10am, noon–3pm, 5–9.30pm; Sat/Sun 6–11am, 12pm–3pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Average price £20 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/…
Hilton restaurant with views of the Clyde and riverside refreshments in the summer.
Nestled on the river Clyde, adjacent to the spectacular Clyde Arc, the location of City Café is impressive. The outdoor seating area offers a pleasant spot for riverside refreshments in the summer. Inside, minimalist décor and linen napkins give this hotel restaurant an elegant feel while the large windows give spectacular views of the river. Caesar salad comes in a generous portion, crispy and appropriately dressed though lacking the zing of parmesan-anchovy flavours expected. Warm brie tartlet sounds invitingly creamy, however, the addition of pistachios offers more texture than taste. Succulent chicken stands impressively beside garden vegetables but is lacking a flavour edge, while the lamb, cooked to a perfect fall-off-the-bone tender rests on pearl barley risotto. Cheesecake is creamy and cool and partnered perfectly with a refreshingly tart fruit coulis. City Café has aimed its operation towards the hotel diner or drop-in music fan on the way to the SECC. A bit more attention to detail regarding flavours, colours and cohesion might attract a more discerning diner.
- High point: Outdoor seating and extensive wine list
- Low point: Lacking impressive flavours
- Private dining: 60 indoors; 150 outdoors seating
- No. overnight rooms: 164
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Easy Listening/Jazz
- Live entertainment: Once a month - traditional Scottish music
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 74
- Open since: 2000 (changed to Hilton Garden Inn in Feb 2012)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £20 per bottle