- Telephone 0131 555 2255
- Seasonal times Christmas Day and Boxing Day 3–9pm
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.15pm, 5–11.30pm; Sun 5–11.30pm.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.britanniaspice.co.uk
Multi-ethnic Indian restaurant in the historic heart of Leith, with extensive menu and plenty of seating.
In the heart of Leith close to its naval near-namesake, Britannia Spice serves a wide range of Indian and South Asian cuisines. Housed in an old whisky bond warehouse, the nautical theme continues with uniformed waiting staff and décor featuring a ship’s wheel, rigging and brass finishes. The extensive menu covers dishes from Bangladesh, Northern India, Thailand and Nepal. Standard starters are all present and correct, but an onion bhajee of shredded onion and spices is a highlight, light and crisp but leaving room for the next course. Mains include a decent selection of vegetarian options including the vegetable sambar, well balanced and just the right shade of heat. Conveniently located near Ocean Terminal, it’s a handy spot after a day shopping or exploring the Shore area. Popular with locals, office workers and visitors, it’s size and choice mean it’s a good option for large parties looking for somewhere in this part of town.
- High point: Big menu with something for everyone
- Low point: Large space may lack atmosphere for couples or lone diners
- Notable dish: Vegetable sambar
- Delivery: Free on orders over £15
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian music
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 160
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle