- Telephone 0131 557 4416
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 1–10pm.
- Average price £17 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.panchovillas.co.uk
The Royal Mile's bright and colourful Pancho Villa's serves tapas-style Mexican food from an extensive menu.
A welcoming terrace for outdoor dining lures you away from the Royal Mile hordes and into Pancho Villa's, an authentic Mexican that’s been serving Edinburgh the flavours of Valle de Bravo for more than 25 years. Inside, it’s bright and busy – lively Latin music energising the bustling staff and cementing the cantina’s credibility. The menu offers a decent variety of dishes: the usual suspects – tacos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, filled with meats marinated in Coke, orange juice and pineapple – are buoyed by a handful of house specials. Rustic lamb is a substantial offering, cooked with pasilla chillis, garlic and mushrooms, and topped with crumbled goat's cheese, lending the dish an unexpected creaminess. If you’re looking for spice, you’ll find it here, whether in the garlic, chilli and honey chicken wings or chicken, cheese and chorizo quesadillas: both starters, both worthy of water for the table. Corn tortillas might be a little on the tough side, but the massive, juicy prawns they’re carrying will mean you won’t mind for too long. The healthy cocktail list helps, too.
- High point: Definitely not stingy with portions
- Low point: Accompaniments – salsa etc – a little bland
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop, Latin and world music.
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 85
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle