- Telephone 0131 557 4416
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 1–10pm.
- Average price £17 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.panchovillas.co.uk
The Royal Mile's bright and colourful Pancho Villa's serves tapas-style Mexican food from an extensive menu.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
For over a quarter of a century, Pancho Villa's has been a colourful fixture on the Royal Mile. Brightly appointed and set slightly back from the main road, on a sunny day it's quite possible to forget you're dining in the centre of Edinburgh. There's a tapas theme to proceedings and, except for the tomato soup, the starters menu is very much focused on sharing, with dedicated 'combination plates' and a copious assortment of nacho-based dishes. Certainly, the guacamole portion is a little too generous for just one diner. As for the mains, there's an embarrassment of choice with enchiladas, tacos, burritos, quesadillas and fajitas, plus an assortment of 'house favourites'. The camaron tacos are packed with big, juicy prawns which more than hold their own against the hot sauce (many of the dishes have a mild alternative) and their crisp fries are perfect for sharing. A bountiful dessert menu brings things to a close with options including churros, apple and cinnamon chimichanga, and a deliciously rich, tequila sticky toffee pudding served with two portions of ice-cream.
- High point: An abundance of choice
- Low point: Carne enchilada rather swamped by rice and refried beans
- Notable dish: Camaron tacos
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop, Latin and world music.
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 85
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle