- Telephone 0131 225 2555
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening hours
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10.30am–11pm; Thu–Sat 10.30am–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm. [Extended in Festival]
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.gustorestaurants.uk.com
Gusto’s slick operation from the Living Ventures Company is a very popular choice with the George Street crowd. The sleek black and white interior is adorned with chandeliers and snaps of typical Italian scenes, and the atmosphere is lively – family friendly during the day and more of a cocktail supping crowd dropping by in the evenings. Settled into booths or spread across long tables, diners tuck into deli boards, pasta and risotto, salads, seafood and meat dishes. Creamed celeriac and chestnut soup with truffle oil and Pecorino cheese impresses, as do hand-rolled meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce. The pizza dough is tasty, but there are not too many Italian classics here – rather a leaning towards more American influences, with toppings such as BBQ chicken or pepperoni and chillies, with Peking duck on a hoi sin base thrown in for good measure. Plump for the homemade desserts such as the decadent Nutella and mascarpone calzone or the tangy baked Venetian rice pudding served with pistachio ice-cream.
- Private dining: 70 (on mezzanine)
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mixture of pop music
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 42 or 70 or 200
- Open since: Nov 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.