- Telephone 0141 248 2111
- Food served Mon–Sun 11.30am–10.30pm.
- Average price £17 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.dimaggios.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Di Maggio's on Royal Exchange Square is the flagship branch of the popular Glasgow Italian chain. Belied somewhat by its unassuming interior, the restaurant’s vast sweeping dining room has space for over 100 diners. The décor is a warm combination of dark wood panelling and 1920’s art deco tiles. Well-equipped for group dining, tables can often be heard singing birthday wishes to one of their party, a reflection of the restaurant’s warm familial vibe. The menu offers up the type of au fait reading that is to be expected of an established Italian restaurant chain – pizzas, pastas, risottos, salads. The quality of the cooking takes things up a notch. Good ingredients are put to expert use in silky pasta sauces, and pizza bases reliably hit that sweet spot between crisp and tear-able. Starters are an area of particular achievement. Basics such as deep-fried mozzarella cubes are worthy of a repeat visit in themselves. Any pasta from the à la carte menu can be served as a starter at a reduced rate. Although advertised as ‘half pasta’, bowls arrive piled high in sizes that would easily be dubbed a light lunch elsewhere. Portions are generous across the board ensuring Di Maggio’s always delivers value for money and keeps their broad clientele happy.
- High point: Pasta starters
- Low point: Staff almost too attentive
- Notable dish: Mozzarella cubes
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 380 (120 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1995
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle