- Telephone 0141 248 2111
- Food served Mon–Sun 11.30am–10.30pm.
- Average price £17 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.dimaggios.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Though you wouldn't guess it from its unassuming exterior, DiMaggio's Royal Exchange Square flagship restaurant is a cavernous art deco treasure where hundreds of diners can relax amid its dark wood and sweeping curves. Given its premium location, this restaurant concentrates on an à la carte menu throughout the day, but the generous portions mean the DiMaggio's chain consistently offers value for money. Starters could easily suffice as light mains, such as the large breaded mushrooms stuffed with pâté and accompanied by aioli. Similarly, the goat's cheese salad presents a hefty cylinder of warm crumbly cheese, topped with caramelised onions and complemented by a fresh oily pesto and pine nuts. Accompanied by a portion of focaccia, this salad would make a substantial lunch. Moist Mediterranean salmon is baked in pesto breadcrumbs, with chunky ratatouille and potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary. Daily specials are popular, with a few favourites circulating regularly. One of these favourites, the spezzatino is a tender and traditional beef stew with vegetables. While pizza and pasta are staples across the menu, DiMaggios embraces a melting pot cuisine typified by a strong US influence.
- High point: Toasted slivers of garlic on the garlic bread
- Low point: Pace yourself across courses
- Notable dish: Spezzatino
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 380 (120 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1995
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle