- Telephone 0141 334 8560
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 4–6.30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £11.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.dimaggios.co.uk/west_end
Taping into the bohemian vibe of Ruthven Lane, Di Maggio's offers a relaxed haven of Italian-American cuisine just off the bustle of Byres Road.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Turn off the bustle of Byres Road into the cobbled lane of Ruthven Mews and find the West End branch of Di Maggio’s, tucked above the antique shops and vintage boutiques. Sharing a menu of Italian-American food with the other branches in the chain, it’s what happens in the kitchen that counts. Gambas pil pil makes a good starter, juicy prawns in a garlicky butter sauce, nestling under a handful of rocket. Main courses run from pasta and pizza to burger and ribs, with some nice fish and steak dishes too. Sea bass comes pan-fried with a light, buttery sauce of cherry tomatoes, chilli and a scattering of pine nuts, with a side of uniformly crunchy roast potatoes, while a well-cooked chicken breast comes with a thick sauce of cream and cracked black pepper and a side of veg. Deserts are generous and most definitely for the sweetest tooth, and mostly made in-house. With a good lunch deal and a weekday two course pre-theatre menu, Di Maggio’s is a reliable choice.
- High point: Cosy booths and relaxed atmosphere
- Low point: Pan-fried fish could have crispier skin
- Notable dish: BBQ babyback ribs
- Delivery: £2 within 1mile radius; £2.50 if further.
- Private dining: Up to 36 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Motown classics
- Live entertainment: Thu pm - magician; occassional psychic nights.
- Capacity: 135
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle