Glass & Thompson
- Telephone 0131 557 0909
- Seasonal times 'Summer': closes at 6 (what constitutes summer is at owner's discretion)
- Food served Mon–Sat 8.30am–5.30pm; Sun 10.30am–4.30pm.
- Average price £5.45, £7.95 & £9.95 (set lunch)
Classy café in Edinburgh’s New Town, serving up impressive homebakes.
Positioned next to a Dundas Street art gallery, Glass & Thompson is a favourite with the New Town set. The menu is somehow elevated beyond standard café offerings: scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and dill or porridge with maple syrup are just a couple of the breakfast options, while the lunchtime menu includes savoury tarts, platters of pâté, salami or Greek salad, as well as sizeable soup-and-sandwich lunch deals. It’s licensed too, with a concise choice of wine and beer, and quite pleasingly the only spirit available is a good old G&T. The homebaking, in particular, is impressive and a doorstep-sized slice of chocolate-chip banana bread made with yoghurt is worth returning for alone, as is the coffee.
- High point: Food choices are a cut above the rest
- Low point: More expensive than the competition
- Notable dish: Chocolate-chip banana bread
- Private dining: 6-8
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 32 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 1995
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £15.40 per bottle
- BYOB: £1 corkage