- Telephone 0131 552 0606
- Seasonal times Closed Christmas and New Year
- Food served Mar–Sep: 10am–5.15pm. Nov–Jan: 10am–3.15pm. Feb/Oct: 10am–4.15pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website www.gatewayrestaurant.net/terrace.htm
The informal, canteen-style cafe of the Botanics is a haven for parents with small children, who are made genuinely welcome with a play area, kids’ lunch boxes of (relatively) healthy snacks and plenty of flexible table options that are convenient for families, groups of mums and even the occasional child-free gathering. The large outdoor terrace area is a popular seating option year-round, with cracking views over the gardens and south towards the castle, especially on a sunny day. The food is simple and hearty, along the soup, sandwich and baked potato lines, with some salads and hot specials filling the gaps. Muffins and traybakes (including gluten-free options) provide a sweet note to accompany coffee and tea, and there are some wines and beers on offer too.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 80 inside, 80 outside
- Largest group: No booking
- Open since: 1991
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
Reviews & features
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh16 Feb 2011
A place to retreat from the crowds in the city centre
The Botanics, 70 acres of landscaped gardens a mile north of the New Town, are well known to locals as a place to retreat from the crowds in the city centre. Perfect for a leisurely afternoon meander, you can also go hunting for some of the 5,000 alpine…