The Grain Store
- Telephone 0131 225 7635
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 11pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sun 6–10pm.
- Average price £14 (set lunch); £38 (evening meal)
- Website www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk
Full-bodied Scottish flavours abound in this renowned Old Town eatery.
With its discreet corners and alcoves, candlelit stone walls and views out over scenic Victoria Street, it’s obvious why this stalwart of Edinburgh’s restaurant scene is frequently highlighted as both a romantic and atmospheric destination. The short but varied menu is a showcase for Scotland’s larder; starters include a gamey seared pigeon with rich leek and hickory risotto while heritage beetroot with goat's cheese and orange salad is as interesting as it is intensely flavoured. A main of pan-seared and roasted chicken with foie gras butter also packs a punch and is perfectly complemented by a robust glass of red. To finish, there’s a novel take on crème brûlée, free-standing atop poached rhubarb and red berries. The wine list is a solid mix of Old and New World and the personable staff are the right side of attentive. Those seeking sustenance in the afternoon should take note of the bargain three course lunch menu.
- High point: A beautiful setting, ideal for impressing a date
- Low point: Quite pricey
- Notable dish: Saddle of venison, braised benison shoulder, Jerusalem artichoke, heritage kale
- Private dining: 10/12
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Relaxed instrumental jazz
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 1991
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £19.95 per bottle