- Telephone 0131 556 6032
- Seasonal times Festival: longer opening hours tbc.
- Bar open Licensed till 1 am on Fri and Sat.
- Food served Sun–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Express lunch/pre theatre available Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm. Not available in December.
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.smokestack.org.uk
Local favourite close to town. Retro desserts, good steaks, neat lunch delivery options and featured cocktails deals.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Whether it’s the fun, unpretentious atmosphere, the convenient location or the generous portions which amply line your stomach before you set about the classic cocktail list; now in its sixteenth year, the Smoke Stack certainly seems to know how to please its punters and keep them coming back. Forget home-made bitters and concept cocktails, this is Daiquiri, Mule and Mojito territory and you're clearly encouraged to unwind – there’s nothing like a giant lightbulb sign spelling out ‘WINE’ to signal the start of the weekend, after all. They are, however, serious about sourcing. Scotch Beef and local producers are name-checked across the menu and a sustainable manifesto demonstrates genuine commitment. The menu may seem a little dated, with calamari, nachos and garlic bread to start before burgers, steaks, fajitas and fish, but if you’re hankering after an old favourite you’re almost certain to find it here. Sugar avoiders beware: for pure, retro nostalgia the dessert menu is hard to resist.
- High point: Forest fruit sorbet and Barr's creme soda float provides a real revivalist sugar rush
- Low point: With these portions, prepare to pile on the pounds
- Notable dish: 10oz Scotch Ribeye served with tiger prawn skewer, onion rings or mac 'n' cheese
- Delivery: Reduced menu available for takeaway - mainly burgers and sandwiches. Delivery by Deliveroo.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 70 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle