- Telephone 0131 556 6032
- Seasonal times Opens at 10am during the Edinburgh Festival
- Bar open Licensed till 1 am on Fri and Sat
- Food served Sun–Thu 10am–10pm; Fri/Sat 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Express lunch/pre theatre available till noon–6.30pm; 4pm–5.30pm Sat/Sun. Not available in December
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.smokestack.org.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
With its urban-vintage loft-style interior, bluesy soundtrack and friendly laidback service, Smoke Stack is a little portion of bustling Brooklyn on busy Broughton Street. Popular with confirmed carnivores who enjoy a nice big slab of quality meat simply cooked, the place serves up char-grilled rump, ribeye, sirloin and fillet steaks, burgers, chicken and fish – as well as salads, sandwiches, smoothies and shakes. Smoke Stack works hard and works well, with a bit of something for everyone, including express lunches, weekend brunches, pre-theatre deals and a good children’s menu. You can also order online or book a lunchtime takeaway using a smartphone app. As a member of the Scotch Beef Club and Sustainable Restaurant Association, the restaurant takes pride in the local sourcing of quality ingredients, particularly the signature 21-day dry-aged beef from the Scottish Borders. With crowd-pleasing starters such as nachos, chilli, calamari, mussels and ribs, and in-demand desserts like cheesecake, brownies and ice-cream sundaes, no one will leave here hungry, especially as the portions are big enough to burst even the bulkiest of bellies.
- High point: Belly-bursting portions to satisfy the most confirmed carnivore
- Low point: Squeezing your bursting belly between some of the tables might be difficult
- Notable dish: Steak! Rump, ribeye, sirloin and fillet, served with a selection of sauces and butters
- Private dining: Up to 28 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 79
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Smoke Stack./5 from RSS feed of these comments