- Telephone 0131 556 6032
- Seasonal times Opens at 10am during the Edinburgh Festival
- Bar open Licensed till 1 am on Fri and Sat
- Food served Sun–Thu 10am–10pm; Fri/Sat 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Express lunch/pre theatre available till noon–6.30pm; 4pm–5.30pm Sat/Sun. Not available in December
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.smokestack.org.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ isn’t always a successful maxim in a world where we’re programmed to seek the new and the fresh. But it works for Smoke Stack. A refurb a few years ago and a clear understanding of their loyal customer base means a menu dominated by steak and burgers, with few forays elsewhere. This is no bad thing. It means a quality steak, cooked exactly as ordered and – strike up the band – really nice chips (although some veg or salad would be a welcome addition). Starters hit a lot of the guilty-pleasure buttons – calamari, paté and a cracking prawn cocktail, served in a sundae glass, of course. Definitely save room for dessert – a cheesecake of the day is cheerfully billed as being laced with ‘whatever liqueur the chef can steal from the bar’ and the banoffee pie’s been made to the same recipe since 2000. Fair play to them: they stick to what they know, do it with a lot of care and attention, and serve it all up with a smile. New tricks? Over-rated.
- High point: A perfect steak
- Low point: Not a huge amount of choice if you're not in a red-meat mood
- Notable dish: Steak!
- Private dining: Up to 28 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 79
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Smoke Stack./5 from RSS feed of these comments