- Telephone 0131 556 6032
- Seasonal times Festival: longer opening hours tbc.
- Bar open Licensed till 1 am on Fri and Sat.
- Food served Sun–Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 9am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Express lunch/pre theatre available Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm. Not available in December.
- Pre-theatre price £12
- Website www.smokestack.org.uk
Local favourite close to town. Retro desserts, good steaks, neat lunch delivery options and featured cocktails deals.
Smoke Stack prides itself on a no-nonsense approach towards dining, aiming to serve simply cooked, quality dishes prepared from locally sourced ingredients. Half-way down Broughton Street, it’s a neatly arranged space, filled with sturdy wooden tables and lit by the now-ubiquitous low-hanging exposed light bulbs. Service is attentive, without being overbearing. Diners of a nostalgic bent may be tempted by the prawn cocktail – a selection of crunchy prawns served up with Marie Rose sauce and topped with a generous portion of sliced avocado which is certainly no mere garnish. The calamari is a more modest starter, cooked in spicy seasoned flour and served with a garlic mayo dip. Meat dominates the mains: a selection of rump, fillet, ribeye and sirloin steaks take pride of place, each served with crisp hand-cut chips, mash, salad or baby potatoes. A dauntingly comprehensive dessert menu is further embellished with splits and sundaes, smoothies, milkshakes and floats. And if that somehow doesn’t tempt you, there’s a fair chance the specials board will.
- Delivery: Reduced menu available for takeaway - mainly burgers and sandwiches. Delivery by Deliveroo.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 70 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle