Local favourite close to town with retro desserts, good steaks and featured cocktails deals.
Smoke Stack prides itself on a no-nonsense approach towards dining, aiming to serve simply cooked, quality dishes prepared from locally sourced ingredients. Half-way down Broughton Street, it’s a neatly arranged space, filled with sturdy wooden tables and lit by the now-ubiquitous low-hanging exposed light bulbs. Service is attentive, without being overbearing. Diners of a nostalgic bent may be tempted by the prawn cocktail – a selection of crunchy prawns served up with Marie Rose sauce and topped with a generous portion of sliced avocado which is certainly no mere garnish. The calamari is a more modest starter, cooked in spicy seasoned flour and served with a garlic mayo dip. Meat dominates the mains: a selection of rump, fillet, ribeye and sirloin steaks take pride of place, each served with crisp hand-cut chips, mash, salad or baby potatoes. A dauntingly comprehensive dessert menu is further embellished with splits and sundaes, smoothies, milkshakes and floats. And if that somehow doesn’t tempt you, there’s a fair chance the specials board will.
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/broughton/smoke-stack
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Retro soul
- Capacity: 90 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle