Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this restaurant offers a choice of Scottish steak and burgers to locals, office workers and shoppers.
Smoke Stack is a restaurant for everyone who loves beef. Bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside, it's cool enough for a date but not so achingly hip that you wouldn't be able to take your grandparents there for a burger. The menu itself is a testimony of how simple Smoke Stack wants to remain: no lengthy choices, just great beef from Shaw’s in the Borders or salmon from Loch Duart. The décor is on the minimalist side too: wooden furniture, tiled walls and handmade lampshades. Locals, tourists, and neighbouring office workers come for their rump, sirloin, ribeye and fillet steaks, served with sauce and homemade chips or baby potatoes and tomatoes. The well-informed staff can recommend a wine to pair with your meal and an Argentinian malbec goes beautifully with a rare ribeye. The express lunch menu is excellent value for money, while the restaurant is also doing its bit to reduce its carbon footprint by sourcing locally, avoiding single-use plastics and recycling as much as possible.
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/broughton/smoke-stack
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk and soul
- Capacity: 78 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £21.95 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.