Maxies Bistro and Wine Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 7770
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–11pm.
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.maxiesbistro.com
With its spot on the terrace overlooking Victoria Street, Maxies will appeal to tourists and locals looking for a reasonably priced bite to eat while watching the crowds mill around the Old Town in summer. Inside it has a French bistro feel, with a huge open wine rack behind the bar, stone walls, wooden sideboards and candles in wine bottles. It’s possible to eat in a cosy little raised bar area, spotted with Moroccan-style cushions, or the more formal, and less atmospheric, dining room to the back. The extensive menu offers traditional pub food with a range of different influences, including enchiladas, stir-fries, pasta dishes and steak. Starters are along the lines of crispy coated mushrooms with a garlic mayonnaise dip or poached mussels in an unusual creamy garlic sauce. When it comes to mains, a prawn stir-fry lacks a bit of the pizazz of a more contemporary Thai curry, while a decent steak is enhanced by a rich port sauce and some roasted Mediterranean vegetables. Desserts of rich chocolate pudding and crispy fruit crumble finish off this hearty feast.
- Private dining: 100 (outside on terrace in summer)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening pop, soul, jazz.
- Capacity: 70 + 100 outside on terrace in summer
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1979
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle