Montpeliers of Bruntsfield
- Telephone 0131 229 3115
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Bar has 3am licence over Christmas / New Year and during the festival in August
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £19 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Website www.montpeliersedinburgh.co.uk
Contemporary-styled bar and bistro at the heart of its neighbourhood, with lots to shout about from early until late.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Looking after its local community for well over 20 years, Bruntsfield stalwart Montpeliers has got a lot going on. In a venue bursting with great energy, early morning flat whites stretch to late night Margaritas and martinis, with brunch, lunch, afternoon cakes and dinner sandwiched in between. The crisp, contemporary interior really looks the part, with a sprinkling of bistro-style tables spilling outside and a lime green banquette linking the timber and stone-clad dining area. An extensive all-day breakfast and brunch menu features the mammoth Full Monty fry-up, with sharing boards, salads and sandwiches appearing on a well-balanced lunch list. Pan-fried sea bass and confit duck leg add a touch of polish to an evening à la carte packed full of familiar favourites, all matched to a respectable range of wines and dozens of craft beers. As if that wasn’t quite enough, there’s midweek burger and drinks deals, great value lunch and early dining offers and even plans to start delivering your food and wine directly to your front door.
- High point: Good all-rounder at the heart of its neighbourhood
- Low point: Maybe look elsewhere for your quiet night out
- Notable dish: The Fully Monty breakfast
- Delivery: £2.50
- Private dining: The Snug is semi-private (curtain) – 14 people
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soft rock
- Live entertainment: Live music Friday 9pm–midnight
- Capacity: 60 (+ 25 overspill at bar)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle