Montpeliers of Bruntsfield
This well-regarded neighbourhood bar offers a great choice of dining options from dawn till late.
With a spate of recent restaurant openings, Bruntsfield’s culinary rating is flying high. Montpeliers sits slap-bang in the middle of the main thoroughfare. Behind its pretty exterior, the stylish space is split between a lively bar area boasting an impressive selection of draft beers and a slightly more sedate dining section. The menu is wide-ranging, offering breakfast as late as 5pm, off-peak dining deals and a good selection of gastropub favourites. A starter of black pudding hashcake with poached egg and Arran mustard is excellent, each element holding its own in terms of flavour. Charred Orkney beef burger with Isle of Mull cheddar, bacon, tomato chutney and wedges is also a success, the pattie properly seasoned and the bun holding together until its inevitable dispatch. Desserts veer towards indulgence with a sticky toffee pudding so rich and sweet it may make you light-headed – in a good way. The smiley servers buzz around at speed and are never far away.
- Private dining: The Snug is semi-private – 14 people
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled in the daytime, more lively at night
- Live entertainment: DJ, Friday 8pm–midnight
- Capacity: 60 (+ 25 overspill at bar + 16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle