Montpeliers of Bruntsfield
Contemporary-styled bar and bistro at the heart of its neighbourhood, with lots to shout about from early until late.
Every neighbourhood needs a great, consistent bistro where locals can bring guests, loved ones or just themselves to soak up the convivial atmosphere. Montpeliers is Bruntsfield’s. It's a smart space, split into a bar and more formal eating areas, which neatly separates diners and drinkers. Some elements of the menu are a trifle formulaic – step away from the burgers and nachos. Instead, Scottish shin of beef with spring onions, bacon potato cake and crispy capers is a fantastic amalgamation of flavours and textures. Goat's cheese, caramelised red onion and crispy pancetta crostini shows off simple ingredients to create a stellar starter. The topping on the apple and blackberry crumble could do with a bit of torching, but the banoffee pie is top notch – there's also a fine selection of apertifs if you prefer dessert to be made of stronger stuff.
- Delivery: £2.50
- Private dining: The Snug is semi-private (curtain) – 14 people
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soft rock
- Live entertainment: Live music Friday 9pm–midnight
- Capacity: 60 (+ 25 overspill at bar)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle