Montpeliers of Bruntsfield
- Telephone 0131 229 3115
- Opening times Daily 9am–1am.
- Seasonal times Late license in December
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Website www.montpeliersedinburgh.co.uk
Cheerfully busy neighbourhood bar offering multiple dining options and great drinks all day long.
This venerable Bruntsfield institution has a lot on the go. It’s a popular watering hole with the locals, dishing out delicious cocktails and perfect serves, plus it's a reliable spot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Offers like cinema Mondays (the bill including a screening at the Dominion) or BYOB Tuesdays (as long as the bottle is from the Oddbins opposite) keep customers interested and connected with local businesses. Throw in mobbed weekend brunches and a popular burger Wednesday and the result is a constant healthy bustle, and the staff, clearly enjoying themselves, turn on sixpences to keep the vibe alive. Menus showcase a mix of globetrotting classics and sharing options, including a textbook poached egg atop crunchy black pudding hash for starters, handsomely bar-marked steak frîtes for mains, or a huggable apple crumble for dessert. The cooking is more soothing than sophisticated – confit duck lacks crisp skin and plays second fiddle to its satiating, cheesy baked tattie accompaniment – but all in, Montpeliers does an impressive job spinning plates, while putting decent stuff on them.
- Private dining: The Snug is semi-private – 16 people
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of funk, soul and pop
- Live entertainment: Acoustic performers on Friday nights
- Capacity: 60 (+ 25 overspill at bar + 16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle