- Telephone 0131 624 8624
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: extended hours
- Bar open Mon–Thur noon–midnight; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thur 10am–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 10am–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £17.50
- Website www.thedomeedinburgh.com
Nineteenth-century grandeur meets 20th-century customer service for a stylish, consistent dining experience.
The Dome is the kind of place Hercule Poirot might dine with an associate just before something truly awful happens. Its famous skylight dome dominates but columns, ornate iron-paned windows, chandeliers and magnificent flower arrangements complete the scene. Fortunately for Edinburgh diners, the Dome’s friendly and efficient staff run a smooth ship where nothing as untoward as a misplaced fork occurs. The Grill Room menu reflects this, offering solid takes on all the Scottish classics. The haggis is specially made by Lothian butcher Hornigs and is presented as a neat starter, nicely wrapped in filo pastry. All the meat and fish are sourced locally, and the Angus venison fillet is lightly seasoned and delicately cooked, complementing tasty gratin potatoes – only a wee blue cheese bon bon feels a bit odd. Surly teenagers forced into a posh suit aren’t forgotten and might even crack a smile when they spot the massive Dome burger with a mound of chips. Desserts include a lovely lightly poached pear sweetened with butterscotch sauce. Afternoon tea is on offer in the separate Georgian tea room.
- Private dining: 20/80
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 130
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £22.50 per bottle