- Telephone 0131 624 8624
- Seasonal times Extended for Edinburgh Festival and Christmas
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.45pm; Sat/Sun noon–10.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thurs noon–4pm; Fri–Sat noon–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.thedomeedinburgh.com
Old-school grandeur in an impressive setting offering a special and reliable dining experience.
Resplendent seems a fitting description for The Dome on George Street. This former bank makes a big first impression with gleaming crystal chandeliers, Corinthian columns, pristine marble and stained-glass ceiling dome. Giant flower displays are artistically lit on the elegant central bar, setting the finer-dining Grill Room apart from the main space. Despite the high-vaulted ceilings, the use of rich décor and soft furnishings create a cosy dining experience which cleverly avoids the dreaded echo one might expect from a such a cavernous space. Proudly Scottish, the menu is a celebration of local sourcing. Angus venison fillet is tender and accompanied by a perfectly judged blackberry and honey jus. A grass-fed Buccleuch fillet is gamey and rich. The crispy goat's cheese and black pudding starter is well textured and competent if a little lacking in wow factor. The confident wine list delivers a broad selection of Old and New World which will suit most tastes and budgets. With a nod to the old-school grandeur of times past, this impressive venue provides a special and reliable dining experience.
- Private dining: Up to 66 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy jazz
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 130
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £22 per bottle