- Telephone 0131 624 8624
- Seasonal times Extended for Edinburgh Festival and Christmas
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.45pm; Sat/Sun noon–10.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thurs noon–4pm; Fri–Sat noon–6.30pm.
- Average price £16 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.thedomeedinburgh.com
Old-school grandeur in an impressive setting offering a special and reliable dining experience.
Resplendent seems a fitting description for The Dome on George Street. This former bank makes a big first impression with gleaming crystal chandeliers, Corinthian columns, pristine marble and stained-glass ceiling dome. Giant flower displays are artistically lit on the elegant central bar, setting the finer-dining Grill Room apart from the main space. Despite the high-vaulted ceilings, the use of rich décor and soft furnishings create a cosy dining experience which cleverly avoids the dreaded echo one might expect from a such a cavernous space. Proudly Scottish, the menu is a celebration of local sourcing. Angus venison fillet is tender and accompanied by a perfectly judged blackberry and honey jus. A grass-fed Buccleuch fillet is gamey and rich. The crispy goat's cheese and black pudding starter is well textured and competent if a little lacking in wow factor. The confident wine list delivers a broad selection of Old and New World which will suit most tastes and budgets. With a nod to the old-school grandeur of times past, this impressive venue provides a special and reliable dining experience.
- High point: The setting is pure old-school glamour
- Low point: Classic cooking comes at a price
- Notable dish: Angus venison fillet
- Private dining: Up to 66 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy jazz
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 130
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £22 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Bill Martin: The Stories Behind the Songs
Bill Martin Bill Martin MBE, one of the UK’s most successful songwriters ever, will be appearing nightly at The Dome, George Street, Edinburgh (excluding Mondays) at 8.15 pm during the Festival Fringe. He will be telling the stories behind the songs that he has written for Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard, Bay City…
Sat 19 Aug
Sun 20 Aug
Tue 22 Aug
Wonders at Dusk
Scott Silven At the top of a chandelier-lit staircase, illusionist Scott Silven awaits. Join him in the stunning surroundings of The Dome, one of Edinburgh's most iconic and breathtaking buildings, as he orchestrates an awe-inspiring evening of mind reading and illusion. With a cocktail in hand, ascend the stairs…