- Telephone 0131 624 8624
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: extended hours
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.thedomeedinburgh.com
Old-school grandeur in an impressive setting offering a special, reliable dining experience.
The Dome’s dome lords it over the Georgian finery of the Grill Room, where multi-coloured low-lights accent Corinthian columns, a traditional circle bar and fantastically proportioned floristry. (The grandiose decoration extends to the ladies with its spectacular sunburst mirror.) Take your camera and take it all in from the raised dining area, where you’re closely attended to by a swarm of smart staff in floor-length aprons. The ingredients making up the classic French-Scottish menu are evidently well-sourced and professionally executed, and the table d'hôte menu offers excellent value for the exalted setting. Start with wood pigeon with a little apple and cabbage croquette, or coin-sized discs of black pudding and crispy goat’s cheese with mustardy-creamy celeriac remoulade. Get more game with venison fillet with heritage beetroot or simply steak and fries; then finish with espresso crème brûlée or lemon mousse with prosecco jelly that’s like a re-imagined trifle. And come back at Christmas to see the lights – they’re an Edinburgh institution.
- Private dining: 20/80
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 130
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £22 per bottle