The Doric Tavern
- Telephone 0131 225 1084
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £22 (lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.the-doric.com
A classic Edinburgh pub strong on beer and whisky downstairs, with steaks and seafood in the more formal bistro above.
Rather oddly promoting itself as a gastropub since the 18th century – before such a thing ever existed – there’s little doubt that the Doric Tavern occupies a special place in the hearts of many Edinburgh drinkers and diners. Its downstairs bar is a proper, authentically old-school pub in the classic sense, all cosy wood panelling, good whisky (there’s a choice of 50, as well as flights) and live folk music on Fridays and Saturdays. On the other side of the coin, the upstairs room is a more formal, classically styled bistro with a continental feel and a traditional menu strong on steaks and seafood, as well as the odd surprise, such as a Hungarian letcho vegetable stew. That said, the food is pricey but you do get an experience which feels classically Edinburgh.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Folk music on Fri and Sat evening.
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 1823
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £17 per bottle