The Basement Bar and Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 557 0097
- Opening times Daily: noon–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival licence until 3am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–11pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.basement-bar-edinburgh.co.uk
Long-standing New Town eatery offering food with a Mexican influence, a large selection of tequilas and a popular bar.
If you’re looking for flavour-packed and fiery food, a killer drinks menu and buzzing atmosphere, The Basement ticks all the right boxes. Located below street level – as the name might suggest – the Día de Muertos artwork, welcoming aroma of sizzling meat, and excellent tequila menu all help fuel the understated, edgy vibe that drives this bar. Friendly staff rush around prepping guacamole, refreshing drained mojitos, and are ready to dazzle their audience by setting dishes like tequila-drenched flamado con queso alight. The small plates are well-presented and ideal for sharing – the huevos ranchero tostadas are a real crowd-pleaser. You can’t go wrong with the tacos or fajitas for your main event, and vegetarians are well looked after with plenty of options including enchiladas and pozole rojo stew (the chefs are also happy to alter most recipes to be meat-free). Digest with a Milk and Honey horchata, (made with Cazcabel Reposado and honey tequilas) and settle in for the night.
- High point: Cracking cocktails, including the Edinburgh mojito made with Edinburgh Gin
- Low point: Burger on the menu lets down the Mexican vibe
- Notable dish: Fish tacos with spicy chipotle crema
The Basement Bar and Restaurant is a genuine Edinburgh institution, long favoured by locals and found by savvy travellers. Known for its good quality, imaginative food, carefully chosen drinks list and home-spun cocktails, served by knowledgeable staff in eclectic surroundings. It is advisable to book a table any day of the week as tables always seem to be busy in the separate restaurant area, however the same menu is served in the bar.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Weekdays low-key jazz, weekends more upbeat/urban.
- Live entertainment: Sunday sessions from 9–11pm.
- Capacity: 84
- Largest group: 48
- Open since: 1994
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Edinburgh Generative Coaching, Mindfulness, Hypnotherapy
The purpose of this group is to provide a platform of self development for anyone interested in using hypnotherapy, coaching or generative trance meditation. Generative trance meditation, hypnotherapy and coaching is a blend of both western traditional methods of hypnotherapy, meditation and eastern & escoteric…
Wed 26 Apr
Wed 24 May
Wed 28 Jun
Reviews & features
Take Three: Good pub grub14 Feb 2008
The Butterfly and the Pig 153 Bath Street, Glasgow 0141 221 7711, www.thebutterflyandthepig.com Unique and a little zany, this flighty butterfly and dashing pig have made a rather refreshing splash across the Glasgow pub food scene. The retro décor…