The Basement Bar and Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 557 0097
- Opening times Daily: noon–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival licence until 3am.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–11pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.basement-bar-edinburgh.co.uk
Long-standing New Town eatery offering food with a Mexican influence, a large selection of tequilas and a popular bar.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Basement has been a popular fixture in the New Town since the mid-90s. Its centrally positioned bar delineates the restaurant from the hustle of the main pub area and, despite its subterranean location, the Basement is a warm and inviting venue. Connoisseurs of Mexico's famous liquor have 19 tequilas to choose from, and anyone averse to a slammer can try a tequila cocktail instead. Starters are generously portioned and ideal for sharing, not least the totopos, a mountain of corn chips adorned with Monterey Jack cheese and jalapeños. For mains, it's probably best to stick with traditional Mexican fare, and vegetarians are well looked after with copious alternatives to chicken, beef and steak. The burrito is more tightly-packed than a budget airline traveller, while portions of the crispy pork belly are less generous. For dessert, avocado ice cream is a surprisingly refreshing accompaniment to the chocolate and chilli brownies.
- High point: Generous portions of traditional Mexican dishes
- Low point: When it's busy, service can be very slow
- Notable dish: Chilli beef burrito
The Basement Bar and Restaurant is a genuine Edinburgh institution, long favoured by locals and found by savvy travellers. Known for its good quality, imaginative food, carefully chosen drinks list and home-spun cocktails, served by knowledgeable staff in eclectic surroundings. It is advisable to book a table any day of the week as tables always seem to be busy in the separate restaurant area, however the same menu is served in the bar.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Weekdays low-key jazz, weekends more upbeat/urban.
- Live entertainment: Sunday sessions from 9–11pm.
- Capacity: 84
- Largest group: 48
- Open since: 1994
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Edinburgh Generative Coaching, Mindfulness, Hypnotherapy
The purpose of this group is to provide a platform of self development for anyone interested in using hypnotherapy, coaching or generative trance meditation. Generative trance meditation, hypnotherapy and coaching is a blend of both western traditional methods of hypnotherapy, meditation and eastern & escoteric…
Wed 26 Apr
Wed 24 May
Wed 28 Jun
Reviews & features
Take Three: Good pub grub14 Feb 2008
The Butterfly and the Pig 153 Bath Street, Glasgow 0141 221 7711, www.thebutterflyandthepig.com Unique and a little zany, this flighty butterfly and dashing pig have made a rather refreshing splash across the Glasgow pub food scene. The retro décor…