Vittoria on the Walk
- Telephone 0131 556 6171
- Seasonal times Festival: open untill 11pm
- Food served Sun–Thu 10am–10pm; Fri/Sat 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–7pm 3 courses and a drink for £19
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.vittoriarestaurant.com
Italian institution in the heart of Leith Walk with a wide menu and plenty of space for large groups.
From small beginnings in 1970, Vittoria on Leith Walk has grown into a rather large operation – it’s part of a group that takes in La Favorita pizza, Divino Enoteca wine bar and serves a whopping 5000 customers a week. The original Vittoria has more or less continued to do what it has always done though – offering family-friendly cooking with few curve balls but lots of classics from the Scottish-Italian cannon, all served up in a welcoming, democratic style. Think Caprese salad, lasagne, meatballs and pizza. A starter of minestrone is a little glum and lacks bright flavours but another of arancini sees a deep-fried risotto ball arriving hot and crisp. There are some hearty secondi such as a decent plate of grilled lamb chops with a rich tomatoey caponata and roast potatoes or, of course, there is plenty of pasta. Finish up with some of the excellent ice-cream, preferably in the most fun form of a big fat sundae.
- High point: All the classics in a friendly, fun Italian diner
- Low point: Not all of the food is as slick as the service
- Notable dish: Ice-cream sundaes
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/calton/vittoria-leith-walk
- Private dining: Up to 65 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Old soul and motown
- Capacity: 200 (40 outdoors)
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1970
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £15 per bottle