- Telephone 0131 226 1900
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Seasonal times Opens till 11pm during Edinburgh Festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7pm; Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm.
- Average price £9.90 (set lunch); £26.00 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £19.90
- Website www.maisonbleuerestaurant.com
Labyrinthine Old Town restaurant that weaves its blend of French and North African magic over several floors.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A modest frontage belies the labyrinthine interior within as Maison Bleue weaves its blend of French and North African magic over several floors in this Old Town venue. The main door opens on to a bar area with comfortably louche furnishings that encourage you to stretch out and relax, so much so you may have to bite your tongue to avoid calling out for a hookah. Led by incredibly attentive staff to your table, through the dark wood surrounds and artfully mismatched furnishings, you’ll find your table crisp of linen and quickly topped with some fresh bread and a jug of water. Open with breewats à la Marocaine – a spicy take on spanakopita, crisp and filled with goat’s cheese and spinach and matched with a tart harissa paste. Of the mains, the brochettes of chicken fresh from the chargrill are a smoky, succulent feast, but are outshone by a deeply aromatic and richly spiced merguez, all accompanied by ratatouille and couscous. Of the desserts, the sticky toffee pudding is a suitably disreputable but charming finish. Finally, news just in – this landmark restaurant is stretching its legs, with a second branch – dubbed Maison Bleue Le Bistrot – planned to open in Morningside in early summer.
- High point: Genuinely charming and idiosyncratic use of this Old Town venue
- Low point: Nice as the bar is, the cocktails are on the expensive side
- Notable dish: Mixed brochettes
Set in Edinburgh's historic Old Town, Maison Bleue specialises in French and international cuisine from all over the globe, prepared using traditional home cooking methods. The restaurant is both convivial and intimate, and is split into 4 separate rooms, each with their own unique character.
Winning praise from both Hardens and Trip Advisor, Maison Bleue is an unmistakable landmark in Edinburgh's Old Town, with its striking blue frontage and charming flower boxes.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 30/15
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chillout
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle