- Telephone 0131 226 1900
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Seasonal times Open all day during Edinburgh Festival. You cannot book during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 5–7pm; Fri 5–6.30pm.
- Average price £9.90 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website www.maisonbleuerestaurant.com
Labyrinthine Old Town restaurant that weaves its blend of French and North African magic over several floors.
The outside of Maison Bleue gives no clue as to its intriguing interior. Set in the heart of the historic Old Town, the building is all spiral staircases and honeycombs of nooks and crannies, the walls peppered with lovely bits and bobs. The French/North African/Scottish dishes here are freshly made to order, the staff more than happy to accommodate special dietary requirements and rustle up off-menu dinkier portions for little ones. A lentil and cumin soup of the day is well seasoned and generous in size, the haggis ball starter with clapshot potatoes and whisky sauce lipsmackingly good. For mains, try their deliciously spicy merguez sausages (made especially for the restaurant) with ratatouille and French fries or maybe a special of fillet of sea bream with a pleasing persillade sauce and crushed potatoes. Authentic tagines, croque monsieurs, mussels and steak are all staples, with a daily selection of desserts and cheeses to round things off. Good for families, groups and romantic tête-à-têtes, alike.
- High point: Large space is great for groups
- Low point: Not a huge range for veggies
- Notable dish: Spicy merguez sausages
Set in Edinburgh's historic Old Town, Maison Bleue specialises in French and international cuisine from all over the globe, prepared using traditional home cooking methods. The restaurant is both convivial and intimate, and is split into 4 separate rooms, each with their own unique character.
Winning praise from both Hardens and Trip Advisor, Maison Bleue is an unmistakable landmark in Edinburgh's Old Town, with its striking blue frontage and charming flower boxes.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 30/15
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18.65 per bottle