- Telephone 0131 226 1900
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Seasonal times Festival: open all day until 11pm, no bookings.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Available 5pm–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.maisonbleuerestaurant.com
Well-established French colonial cooking in charming historic premises.
Maison Bleue has been a fixture on picturesque Victoria Street for over 20 years now. A French restaurant with a North African twist, this is certainly reflected in the décor, with stunning brick arches (dating back to the 15th century), scattered cushions, and a distinctive blue and turquoise colour scheme. The atmosphere is relaxed, with deals to suit locals and tourists, such as their formule lunch and set menus. North African street food choices such as spicy merguez lamb sausage are great, though it feels more like a brunch dish with its tomato base and fried egg on top. A couple of main courses have rightly been staples since the restaurant opened, including succulent beef cheeks slow-cooked in red wine with creamy parsley mash, shallots and garlic confit, and La Bleue-abaisse, their take on the famed Marseillaise fish and seafood stew, with its crayfish and lobster bisque. Round off a satisfying meal with an impressive crème brûlée.
Set in Edinburgh's historic Old Town, Maison Bleue specialises in French and international cuisine from all over the globe, prepared using traditional home cooking methods. The restaurant is both convivial and intimate, and is split into 4 separate rooms, each with their own unique character.
Winning praise from both Hardens and Trip Advisor, Maison Bleue is an unmistakable landmark in Edinburgh's Old Town, with its striking blue frontage and charming flower boxes.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 30/15 in own area
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle