- Telephone 0131 226 2442
- Seasonal times Edinburgh Festival: Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm
- Average price £12.90 (including coffee)
- Pre-theatre price £12.90 (including coffee)
- Website www.petitparis-restaurant.co.uk
Real French people serving real French food in surroundings that recreate all the atmosphere of a Parisian bistro.
Checked table cloths, walls cluttered with vintage French posters and banter in their native language between the staff – stepping into Petit Paris makes it feel like time to dust off dormant language skills. The upstairs section is compact while downstairs is larger but misses out on the high energy floorshow. And, when the summer arrives, street-side tables offer an opportunity to relive the joys of the Gallic outdoor dining experience. Online booking elicits a personal email rather than an automated confirmation and the friendliness continues as diners choose from a menu boasting a host of French classics and several daily specials. Starters of grilled black pudding or baked camembert transport patrons to that quaint little bistro on the banks of the River Seine, and the authenticity continues when the waiter arrives bearing an individual pot containing the stew of the day, possibly a succulent lamb stew in a rich sauce with veg and potatoes. To finish, top-notch gateaux and tarts make it tough to decide on dessert – so how about crêpes doused in Grand Marnier to evoke those memories of the French capital?
- High point: Like a trip to France without the hassle at the airport
- Low point: Downstairs diners miss out on much of the banter
- Notable dish: Coq au vin
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: French music
- Capacity: 49
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998 (3 years under current ownership)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £16.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £3.90 corkage