- Telephone 0131 226 2442
- Seasonal times July and August: Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Food served Sun–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5pm–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £13.90 (includes coffee)
- Website www.petitparis-restaurant.co.uk
Rustic bistro showcasing simple and authentic French classics, noted for its bustling outdoor terrace in summer.
Smack bang in the middle of the Old Town, Petit Paris will be a nice surprise for visitors expecting a tourist rip-off, and has enough charm to draw in the locals too. Owner Mathieu Cagna manages a tiny kitchen with aplomb, churning out 600 meals a day in the summer, all of them French classics. Snails nestling in garlic butter with an innovative hint of Pernod, onion soup, coq au vin, entrecôte, Toulouse sausages, stew of the day … nothing's fancy but it’s done well. The decor is rustic with checked red and white plastic tablecloths and framed vintage adverts hanging on whitewashed stone walls. Linger longer than you meant to over a pichet of good house red or make a special trip for fondue night. In summer, outdoor dining spreads out into the Grassmarket, so enjoy the lunch or pre-theatre deal and soak up the atmosphere.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: French pop
- Capacity: 50 (+80)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998 (current ownership since 2014)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £17.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £3.90 corkage (BYOB available Mon–Thu only)