- Telephone 0131 226 2442
- Seasonal times July and August: Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Food served Sun–Fri noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £13.90 (including coffee)
- Website www.petitparis-restaurant.co.uk
Bustling little Grassmarket bistro, bursting with rustic charm, showcasing simply prepared comforting classics and summer al fresco dining.
Right in the heart of the Grassmarket hubbub, Petit Paris is a bustling little bistro packed full of rustic charm. Checked table cloths, enamel street signs and vintage posters add a splash of colour to whitewashed walls across a compact ground-floor dining room and basement-level overspill. The seasonal à la carte showcases straightforward comforting classics, like popular French onion soup, snails bathed in pernod butter and richly flavoured boeuf bourguignon. A decent drop of table wine washes down rabbit terrine with madeira-infused onion marmalade and ribeye steak with cognac and peppercorn sauce. An appealing array of mustards perks up hearty Toulouse sausages, alongside mussels with bleu d'Auvergne cheese and pan-fried salmon in a crayfish and chive beurre blanc. Dozens of outdoor tables burst into life when the summer sun shines, with great value lunch and early dining deals drawing in the crowds. With its friendly and relaxed front of house setting just the right tone, this is a cheery venue that excels at doing the simple things really well.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: French radio
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998 (4 years under current ownership)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £17.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £3.90 corkage