The Willow Tea Rooms
- Telephone 0141 204 5242
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 11am–4.30pm.
- Average price £8.95; £12.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.willowtearooms.co.uk
Timeless design by Mackintosh, appealing afternoon teas and a wide range of savoury dishes – a great choice to show off Glasgow’s charm to visitors.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
One of Glasgow’s defining designers and architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s work is famous for being both appealing and functional. Just so in the Tea Rooms, where the elegant design of the long-backed chairs has the effect of creating a private booth for each set of diners. The pleasure of tea with friends feels well and truly understood, an approach which continues in the present-day. Pleasingly, each pot of tea is served with additional water to make the most of each brew, and infusions include the Willow’s own chosen blend. The range of the menu might come as a surprise for those who expect tearooms to specialise purely in afternoon tea – this sophisticated kitchen also serves up hearty Scottish dishes with finesse, such as a delicious Scottish rarebit with keen Lockerbie cheddar.
- High point: The grand setting
- Low point: The Chinese Tea Room is not always open
- Notable dish: Afternoon Tea
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
Reviews & features
Time for tea, at last - the best tea rooms23 Jul 2009
Let’s play word association. Tea and … well, there’s coffee, and for the last decade or two we’ve been in a mocha monopoly with coffee chains over-populating our high streets, railway stations, book shops and most places in between. Tea and…