- Telephone 0141 553 1577
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 3–7pm; Sat 3–6pm
- Average price £12.50 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.50 / £16.50
- Website www.citymerchant.co.uk
It's big tastes of Scotland’s seas and fields at this rustic and relaxed venue, that's been with us for nearly 30 years.
Alongside its weighty wooden furnishings and nautical bric-a-brac, it’s steak and seafood that dominate this tourist-friendly, family-run affair in the middle of the Merchant City. It’s the sort of place where the quality of the produce, most from within our borders, really stands out. Venison is cooked with a sensitive touch, and the full-on meatiness of the gravy is exactly the sort of thing City Merchant does well. It might be a bit overbearing to pair scallops with ham croquettes and a similarly intense sauce, but this place hits heavy, and really knows its customer base. There’s plenty with appeal – there’s Scottish Beef Club fillets and sirloins, and there’s cod, sea bass, salmon – with all manner of creams and garlics and butters in the sauces. Special mention has to go to their take on Cullen skink, which isn’t overly creamy, and instead has the thinner, cleaner qualities of a traditionally milky broth – it lets the big chunks of haddock and potato stand out more, and it really is spot on.
- High point: A classic steak and seafood place
- Low point: Sauces are very full-on and rich
- Notable dish: Cullen skink
- Private dining: 16 in "VIP area", 45 in function suite
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soft jazz, relaxed restaurant music
- Capacity: 120 (+ 45 in function suite)
- Largest group: 160
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle