- Telephone 0141 553 1577
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 3–7pm; Sat 3–6pm
- Average price £13.50 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.50 / £20
- Website www.citymerchant.co.uk
It's big tastes of Scotland’s seas and fields at this rustic and relaxed venue, that's been with us for nearly 30 years.
With an impressive bar holding court and surrounding dark wood furnishings, you could be forgiven for thinking City Merchant is an old-school Glasgow boozer. While it may be old-school, celebrating 30 years in 2018, this impression is at a complete disconnect, however, to the quality of food on offer, which is far above even gastropub categorisation. There’s an evident concentration on seafood with sourcing from Scottish waters wherever possible. Fencebay tiger prawns sit alongside scallops and salmon and arrive coated in a caper-spiked beurre noisette – served in the shell, this makes for a restrained starter but one that allows the fine produce to sing. Mains are all big hitters – think haunch of venison, whole grilled lemon sole – and, with City Merchant a member of the reputable Scottish Beef Club, there is a section dedicated to the grill with optional surf ‘n’ turf. The duck breast main is one of real depth, served crimson pink and infused with honey and ginger, it arrives with braised duck terrine and pickled chantenay carrots. It’s a carefully constructed and layered dish, which rather epitomises this enticing restaurant.
- Private dining: 16 in "VIP area", 45 in function suite
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop from 1960s to 1990s
- Capacity: 120 (+ 45 in function suite)
- Largest group: 160
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best set lunch menus in Glasgow31 May 2018
Where to find a good lunch deal in Scotland's capital
Lunch hour is calling, but where can you head for some reasonably priced grub? Here's our pick of restaurants around Glasgow with tasty set lunch menus that won't leave you too out of pocket. From authentic Chinese food to cosy neighbourhood bistros…