- Telephone 0141 248 4942
- Bar open Sun–Wed 11am–midnight; Thu-Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Wed 7.45am–10pm; Thu–Fri 7.45am–midninght; Sat 9am–midnight; Sun 9am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.babygrandglasgow.com
Long-established bistro bringing a touch of elegance to Charing Cross, with low lighting and an impressive menu.
In an odd little pedestrian square hemmed in by office blocks and a Premier Inn sits Baby Grand, that’s proved itself something of a minor Charing Cross institution. In business here since 1984, this bar-and-grill-style establishment harks back earlier still for style cues, going for a Glaswegian take on Madmen-era New York. Tall stools facing a long, marble-topped bar encourage a cocktail or two, and, as the name suggests, there’s live, low-key piano music to go with them (evenings from Wednesday to Sunday). The bar extends into a tiny open kitchen preparing a simple, confident menu – steaks and sandwiches for the most part, plus a few more involved dishes such as jerk chicken or roast venison, and finishing with pleasant homemade puddings. A market menu is good value and includes a juicy bavette steak cooked rare, sliced into long strips and served with a mound of skinny chips and salad. Generous breakfasts from 7.30am (9am weekends) draw commuters as well as guests from the nearby hotel.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mellow jazz
- Live entertainment: Wed–Sat evening pianist (Wed/Thu: 6–9pm; Fri/Sat: 6pm–1am)
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle