- Telephone 0141 331 1655
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5–10.30pm; Fri noon–2.15pm, 5–11pm; Sat noon–11.30pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Tue 5–10.30pm, Wed–Fri 5–7pm, Sat 4–6.30pm
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Half-price mains
- Website www.amberregent.com
A combination of Chinese cuisine and a fine-dining experience that's unique to the city.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
While others do classics with a contemporary twist, the unique attraction at the long-established (1988) Amber Regent is the combination of regional Chinese cuisine and fine dining. Spotless linen-covered tables are lit by discrete table-lamps and dotted with perfectly folded napkins. Expect your kung po chicken to arrive on exquisite china, with a ginger and soy salmon fillet adorned with vegetables carved into flower petals, all with slick and accomplished service. Prawn dim sum melt away effortlessly while the crispy duck is intriguingly combined with rich oyster sauce and an indulgent steamed scallop with garlic and soy sauce makes for a fittingly indulgent starter. This is, after all, a restaurant that’s hosted luminaries such as Mick Jagger over the years. Such vintage style may not suit all tastes these days, but with tables busy even in midweek it’s undeniably a popular restaurant. Long-serving manageress Christina Wager is enthusiastic about plans to modernise the dining area in June 2016 while keeping the refinement their many regulars love.
- High point: Stylish dining
- Low point: Some décor a little dated
- Notable dish: Aromatic crispy duck
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle