- Telephone 0141 331 1655
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5–10.30pm; Fri noon–2.15pm, 5–11pm; Sat noon–11.30pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Tue 5–10.30pm, Wed–Fri 5–7pm, Sat 4–6.30pm
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Half-price mains
- Website www.amberregent.com
A combination of Chinese cuisine and a fine-dining experience that's unique to the city.
Amber Regent is something of an institution in Glasgow’s city centre. Open since 1988, it harks back to a golden age of restaurant dining. While immaculate white tablecloths, attentive service and perfectly folded napkins may no longer be de rigueur, there is something undeniably comforting about re-entering this world. Dining at the city’s most elegant Chinese feels like going to a restaurant in a film. Photographs at the entrance reveal a host of celebrity fans from across the Atlantic such as Michael Bolton and 50 Cent. The food, too, is of a suitably high standard, a reliable mix of Chinese favourites (crispy duck, sweet and sour chicken) and more contemporary innovations – a particularly adept selection of tofu dishes would satisfy vegetarian guests. All dishes arrive on delicate china plates with elaborate edible garnishes that look too good to eat, adding to the fine-dining experience. Tables are packed with a varety of diners of all ages, which says something about Amber Regent's enduring popularity.
- High point: Elegant surroundings
- Low point: Mismatched cocktail menu
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle