- Telephone 0141 331 1655
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5–10.30pm; Fri noon–2.15pm, 5–11pm; Sat noon–11.30pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Tue 5–10.30pm, Wed–Fri 5–7pm, Sat 4–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price Half-price mains
- Website www.amberregent.com
A combination of Chinese cuisine and a fine-dining experience that's unique to the city.
The family-run Amber Regent has been a familiar sight for a while (it’s celebrating 30 years in 2018) and owner/managers Christina and Angie Chung have been in the family business most of that time. It has just had a makeover – there’s an attractive wall of back-lit Chinese ceramics, the bar area has been moved to a more prominent spot, serving cocktails such as the Beijing Bellini (prosecco with lychee liqueur) and Red Lotus (vodka lychee liqueur and cranberry), which are a nice touch and make for a lively start to the meal. The menu has had a revamp too – gone are the long lists of choices and the traditional, fussy (but very appealing) carved veg embellishments, and in come pared-down, no-nonsense Szechuan choices. The menu descriptions don’t give much away and some simple-sounding choices show classic Chinese wok cooking at its best. A salt and pepper aubergine is outstanding – crisp and spicy on the outside, lush and piping hot in the middle. Lettuce wraps with shredded sautéed veg are a revelation. Mains sizzle and feature stir-fried favourites such as Szechuan prawns and chicken with black beans and green pepper – in which the black beans inject flavour bombs of fermented tanginess. The midweek half-price mains for which the Amber Regent is known are still available, making it still a great choice for a pre-theatre.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 95
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle