- Telephone 0141 221 3550
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.15pm, 6–11.30pm; Sat noon–2.15pm, 5.30–11.30pm; Sun 5–10.30pm.
- Average price £12.80 (set lunch); £31 (set evening meal)
- Website www.ho-wong.com
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Generations of Glaswegians have enjoyed a meal here in Ho Wong’s warm, brightly coloured dining room. Whether midweek or weekend, the tables, delicately laid out with pristine napkins and flowers, are busy with diners. There’s something for all tastes in a conservative but attractive menu that adroitly covers the Chinese culinary canon. Dim sum come with a courteous yet reassuring 20-minute wait, and there’s a strong seafood bias on the menu including an unmissable stuffed crab claw among the appetisers. Szechuan crispy shredded beef has the required soft crunch/zing combo while the chill peppers stuffed with crushed prawn are pretty much Oriental jalapeño poppers, leaving enough hot-hot tingle to make it impossible to not reach for more of them. Slip off the beaten path and try the meltingly tender grilled chicken that comes in a wash of rich plum sauce – it’s a tangy show-stopper. While not light on the wallet, Ho Wong isn’t prohibitively expensive either and the lunch menu is a great way to sample the same quality for less.
- High point: Flawless main courses
- Low point: Dated paintings
- Notable dish: Chilli pepper stuffed with crushed prawn
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: classical
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1986
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £17.80 per bottle